793 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02118
The Piano Craft Gallery advances the understanding of contemporary visual and performing arts in the community and promotes artistic purposes through exhibits, performances, lectures, meetings, and seminars in connection with matters of artistic concern. The Piano Craft Gallery is an all volunteer-run non-profit community gallery space devoted to sharing artists’ work with the public.
The Pianoforte Manufactury, built by Jonas Chickering & Sons, was completed in 1853. At the time, it was the largest building in the country.
For 75 years, the Chickering Piano Factory produced the finest American pianos (grands, baby grands, uprights, square pianos, and harpsichords), even rivaling the European Steinway. In 1974, the Piano Factory became one of the first factory/loft conversions, with nearly 200 residences and creative spaces, including a theater, printshop, and a large gallery at the entrance of the building. After 40 years, the Piano Craft Gallery was moved to its current location, a larger and more comfortable exhibit space.